How to load Active@ Boot Disk over the network via PXE environment?
There are several steps required, configuring WinPE WIM, Boot Manager and PXE Server .
For the configuration steps, let's assume that inserted Active@ Boot Disk has a D: letter in our configuration environment.
Step 1: Copy WinPE Source Files onto PXE Server
- Map a network connection to the root TFTP directory on the PXE/TFTP server (let’s assume it has a F: letter) and create there a \Boot folder (full name F:\Boot)
- Copy the bootable Windows PE image (D:\SOURCES\BOOT.WIM) to the F:\Boot folder (on PXE/TFTP server)
- Copy the BOOT.SDI file from D:\BOOT folder of inserted Active@ Boot Disk to the F:\Boot folder (on PXE/TFTP server)
- Copy the BCD file from D:\BOOT folder of inserted Active@ Boot Disk to the F:\Boot folder (on PXE/TFTP server)
Step 2: Configure custom boot configuration (optional)
In case if default boot configuration supplied with Active@ Boot Disk (stored in file BCD) does not work for you, you can configure your custom boot configuration:
- On a Windows 7 computer or in a Windows PE environment, create a BCD store by using the BCDEdit tool
- Create the RAMDISK setting, BOOTMGR and OSLoader settings for the Windows PE image
- Copy the BCD file to the F:\Boot folder (on PXE/TFTP server)
Step 3: Deployment process
- Configure your PXE/TFTP server to point PXE clients to download Wdsnbp.com
- A client is directed (by using DHCP Options or the PXE Server response) to download Wdsnbp.com
- Wdsnbp.com validates the DHCP/PXE response packet and proceeds to download PXEBoot.com
- PXEBoot.com downloads Bootmgr.exe and the BCD store. The BCD store must reside in a \Boot directory in the TFTP root folder. Additionally, the BCD store must be called BCD
- Bootmgr.exe reads the BCD operating system entries and downloads Boot.sdi and the Windows PE image
- Bootmgr.exe begins booting Windows PE by running Winload.exe within the Windows PE image
For more detailed instructions, read Microsoft TechNet official documentation
We are using a WinPE environment that is booted into via PXE from a Windows Deployment Server. I am wondering if there is a way for us to copy registry information and files into the WIM file that we boot from so the applications are already installed and registered? Or will I need to script the installation and registration to occur each time we boot into WinPE?